July 05, 2006

Festival

Okay my city has been gearing up for our charter day festival for almost a month. Here are some of the things that have sprung up around town. Along my street, people came and set up booths filled with crap to buy. Most of the crap is really crap, like stuff you'd buy at the dollar store. A lot of it is clothing. Here is my host mother bargaining down the price of a pair of pants for me.

Another type of booth set up is called ukay-ukay, and this is found all over the Philippines. It is second hand clothing that sells for really cheap. The problem is, I've heard, that the clothing comes from the U.S., Japan, and other places as relief goods for very poor people. But somehow it ends up in the hands of vendors. It's still really cheap, but I guess it's supposed to be free for some people. Well, here is a pile of ukay-ukay clothes, 10 pesos for any item. (about 19 cents).

There was a Ferris Wheel, which I went on. It was fun, but a little scary. No, I'm not scared of heights, but I am scared of rickety, acient ferris wheels in the Philippines. But I am still alive, and it didn't fall off it's axle.

The most incredible thing that came to town was the portable McDonalds. Two trucks pull up and park, and there you have a McDonalds. They only had about 5 menu items, but it was a big deal in town. I got an ice cream there one day.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:07 PM

    McDonalds gives me a stomach ache in the US, I doubt I'd survive the experience in the Philipines.

    ReplyDelete