On Saturday I took a field trip with Jonica’s kindergarten class to the Balay Alibangbang. Any guesses what

that is? It’s the butterfly house! Alibangbang is ‘butterfly’ in Ilonggo, which I think is great. It’s pronounced like ‘long’ or ‘song’. So Balay Alibangbang isn’t anything like the Butterfly Pavilion in terms of education or exhibits or numbers of butterflies. But it was really pleasant, pretty, and still educational. And it was just ten minutes from my house, not far at all! I had no idea it was so close.
On the grounds they have a really nice playground area, a bigish butterfly dome with screening, a swimming pool, a lecture hall, picnic areas, gardens, and a big beautiful house that the owners live in and might be a hotel as well (I didn’t really get that part.) We had about 50 kindergartners (age 4-6) and each one had a parent. The kids played on the playground and the adults sat under the trees when we first got there. There was a nice breeze and it was cool and peaceful. Then a guy took

us into the lecture hall to talk about butterflies. He
turned on a video about butterflies and moth that was really nice (taped off TV) but I knew right away the kids would not last long. It was in English, and long, and I know what teaching 5 year olds can be like. But I was very impressed with the parents. In most situations like this, the parents would sit at the back and talk among themselves, leaving the children up front. But these parents watched the video, and when the guy stopped it, they asked questions about butterflies and everything! Go parents! The lecturer guy spoke half in English, half in Ilonggo (they call it Ilongish…seriously.) Then the kids got to go in the butterfly dome. Parents had to pay an extra 30pesos to go in, so none did.
After the learning, the kids went swimming, and we had picnic lunch, and then relaxed under the trees for awhile. Then we went home. It was really nice.

The kids in the picture of me with the butterfly are Jonica in the middle, and her friend Bony, on the left. Also on the tire swing, Jonica on top, Bony on the bottom.
No comments:
Post a Comment