May 07, 2006

When the Rooster Crows At the Break of Dawn...




You know you're in the Philippines. I now have a rooster living 10 feet from my window. They crow whenever they feel like it, really. But mine likes to start at 5am, and continue ever 20 seconds - 2 minutes until around 8. They tell me I'll learn to sleep through it, but right now, I just hate roosters. However, I still hate the heat more, and either way, these pictures have nothing to do with either of those things.

Our town, Oton, had a festival last week, and there were 6 different 'tribes' competing in dancing competitions. It's not as ethnic or traditional as it sounds, as you can see, they wear t-shirts and jeans, and the dances are choreographed drama/dance routines. Our Lambuyao group (Me, Erin, Allan, and our teacher Anna) attended the opening ceremonies to cheer against the Tagbac group (Tim, Ross, Anna, and teacher Alvin). The street dancing competetion is the only thing we were able to watch. These pictures are of our tribe doing their dance. Yep, that kid is upside down on two bamboo ladders above a street. It was part of the dance. They do things big here. Then there's the 8 of us in our shirts, just after the opening festivities.

No comments:

Post a Comment