July 19, 2006

library club and great quote



The library club is going okay. I thought I had a good counterpart for that, Mrs. Abong asked if she could help because she loves the library and would love to be part of the library club. Great! She decided we should have library club meetings on Fridays after school, and I couldn’t convince her to change the day. But she never comes to the meetings! Last week’s meeting I had to start on my own and conducted it by myself for about 20 minutes. It was fine, but probably would have gone smoother with someone there who speaks Ilonggo better than me. Well by the time my other counterpart showed up, everything was going great, and I had the kids split into three groups making posters of the rules to put up in the library. The teacher comes in and starts yelling at the kids (this is not unusual. The teachers yell a lot.) and tells them that for next week’s meeting, they need to bring in labels for the shelves, and telling them to hurry up with the posters, etc. After she left, the kids asked me what they were supposed to bring to label the shelves, and of course I had no idea, and no intention of labeling shelves yet. So I told them not to worry about it.

Also, this quote is posted on the wall of one the classrooms: “Don’t let the school stand on the day of your education.” Something tells me the teacher misread and clearly didn’t understand the original quote.

Here are two pictures of two little boys who came in and enjoyed the library, and actually were using it to look at books instead of at me.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:59 AM

    Cute pictures. Somebody needs to tell the teach not to yell in the library! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:01 AM

    Oops, I meant to say tell the teacher not to yell in the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:18 PM

    Great candid shot (the top one). I cannot imagine the challenge of operating in llonggo. After studying French for three years as my college major it took me weeks to get functional the first time I went there. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go mom, you figured out how to put in your name!

    As for operating in Ilonggo...I don't as much as I should. Even the teachers that are poor English speakers are generally better at it than I am in Ilonggo. I can get around, but I can't teach in the language. Most of the kids don't know what I'm talking about, and I can't understand them either. I've got a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete