Christmas this year was spent with my fellow PCV, Erin Dowe, at our training host families in
Iloilo. Christmas in the Philippines was a pretty big letdown. The lead up is great, lots of Christmas carols and parties and decorations, but the actual day, not much happens. However, it happened to be my
host brothers 6th birthday, so we had a big party with lots of food on Christmas Day after all. At children's parties here, one of the traditional games is one where a lattice of bamboo has prizes and candy tied to it, and is lowered and raised above the
children's heads. They jump and try to grab the prizes.
After Christmas, Erin and I went to her site, Roxas city, and met up with our friends Eva and Page. The four of us celebrated Eva's birthday by having a seafood feast on the beach.
Then we all headed to Boracay, the most popular beach spot in the Philippines. It is a total tourist area, tons of foreigners, and lots of good food and beach activities. Around 30 volunteers came to New Years on Boracay, which is a huge group to have together at one time. We had a lot of fun, and at midnight they shot
fireworks off from all along the beach. It was great to see so many of our friends and we had lots of fun. We also played some our favorite group games. Here is Page and I playing the adverb game, in which we had to act out 'aggresively sailing a ship.'

After Christmas, Erin and I went to her site, Roxas city, and met up with our friends Eva and Page. The four of us celebrated Eva's birthday by having a seafood feast on the beach.
Then we all headed to Boracay, the most popular beach spot in the Philippines. It is a total tourist area, tons of foreigners, and lots of good food and beach activities. Around 30 volunteers came to New Years on Boracay, which is a huge group to have together at one time. We had a lot of fun, and at midnight they shot
I didn't know anything about the adverb game...this needs to be played sooner rather than later I'm afraid..
ReplyDeleteDear Laura,
ReplyDeleteOur PCVAC (alumni group in Denver) met a RPCV who is working with a group that is collecting stories about Peace Corps. Their web page is:
www.peacecorpsat50.org
I think that you should submit a story or two to the volumes they are producing.
I remember my first Christmas in the Philippines. (group 39-1970 in Davao City) My host family had their wedding anniversary on NewYears eve with lechon of course and fireworks thrown from 2nd story windows.
I met your parents at the Dragon Boat festival. I enjoy reading your blog.
Arlene
visit the Colorado volunteers at:
http://rpcvcolorado.org/home/