These are pictures of my classroom. I got it pretty well set up before school started. There is of course not as much 'stuff' available here as in the States, but there's a lot more stuff and better quality stuff available then in the Philippines. All the kids have their own textbooks (not for every class....but for any class we have books for, we have a brand-new book for each student).
There's a picture here of little Liam and Emma helping me decorate my room.
I teach math, reading, phonics, writing, English, spelling, science, and art. It seems like it should all be more integrated, the reading and writing and English, but they are divided into seperate blocks. The kids also have social studies and spanish and a few other specials classes. The schedule changes everyday. Some days I
My kids are kind of unruly, a lot more like the behavior of kids in the states, more than the quiet super-respect of kids in the philippines. Julie gave us all a classroom management system with green, red, and yellow dots, and each kids name on a clothespin. If they keep doing what they're not supposed to be doing, they move to yellow, etc. All the lower grades use this, and it seems to be working okay so far. It's hard to expect them to be quiet all day, because they are constantly having to
It's interesting living with one of my students, because every night I have instant feedback on how the classes were, what homework is too hard, and what he gets and doesn't get. Tonight he brought me his math book and said he didn't understand anything he was supposed to do. So I helped him with his whole homework assignment, but I don't expect any of the other kids will have any idea how to do it. It's a challenge.
No comments:
Post a Comment