Some people are walking with groups. The groups I actually met people walking with were some teachers from the school I work with, a Japanese drumming group, and the local AIDS awareness organization. Some high school bands were there, as well as other music groups. Some groups carried pictures of loved ones who have died, some carried other types of displays, like paper mache skulls, or bikes adorned with lights, or signs, just all kinds of things.The teacher I work with at the elementary school invited me to walk with his group, but I just wanted to watch this year, so I went with another Peace Corps fellow and a guy I work with at my other internship and we watched from a really good spot, not too crowded, we could see everything. The teachers were dressed up as the 'Santa Cruz River' which is, sadly, dead. It's now a big sandy ditch that runs around town. They were also dressed as animals that live around the river.
It's a really neat event, and anyone can participate; old folks, babies, any religion, any race. Some parts were somber, but mostly it was pretty fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment