August 12, 2016

Epic Road Trip Part 1: Vermont Part 2!

July 20, 2016

I only had the morning to spend with my brother and sister-in-law, because I was catching a 12:15 greyhound bus that would take me to Manchester, New Hampshire for a 6pm flight back to Denver. So Paul took the morning off work and we went canoeing!

Paul lives up a hilly road from a reservoir, so we tied the canoe to the roof of his car, drove downhill for about 5 minutes, and unloaded it in the water. I have been canoeing maybe once, so I am an expert canoer. The reservoir was calm and peaceful, not too many people were out, and it was still early and cool.

I loved the canoe trip! We just went about 20 minutes up to the waterfall that empties into the reservoir, hung around there for awhile (Paul skipped rocks), and came back. I saw a beaver several times, one time it slapped its tail right ahead of the boat and scared me to death.

I also saw a fish jump out of the water right in front of us, a great blue heron, and an osprey. Also lots of plants.

After canoeing, we took my car to the mechanic in town, who looked at it, said the last guy did all that he would have been able to do, and it's no big deal to just fill it up with oil every time I fill it up with gas for the rest of my life. I disagree.

So I went with Paul to his job, which is in the basement of city hall, and the greyhound stop is in front of city hall. Paul works at the Basement Teen Center, which is a safe place for kids to hang out when not in school.

We went out front about 11:45 to wait for the bus. Paul sat with me, as well as his co-worker, Kayla, and a couple of his teens came and went. Lots of people came and went. Paul knows lots of people. And we waited there a long time. by 1pm the bus still hadn't come. By 1:30 the bus still hadn't come. I decided that if it wasn't there by 2, I would miss my plane. It wasn't there by 2. So I decided to drive myself down to Manchester and Paul and Sarah would have to come pick up the car that weekend. Not an ideal plan, but better than nothing.

So I dashed to the car, drove to the hotel in Manchester Paul and Sarah park at (about 2 hours away), paid to park my car there for 4 days, and took the hotel shuttle to the airport. In the shuttle, the driver said, "so what airline are you flying?" me: "Southwest." Driver: "Hmm, I heard there was a problem with Southwest, did you check your phone to make sure your flight is going?" Me: "Uggghh. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were true. My phone is broken, I can't do anything but make calls and text." Driver: "I'll check mine.....looks like your flight is on time! Don't know what I heard!" Me: "Well, that's good news."

She dropped me off at the airport at 5:15, for my 6pm flight. I was panicking, but she told me, it's such a tiny airport, it will not be a problem at all, even though I had bags to check and hadn't printed my boarding pass yet.

I walked in to the ticketing area, and saw the line at the Southwest counter had about 100 people ahead of me. Panicking. But, I needn't have worried. My flight didn't leave without me. In fact, no flights left at all. Turns out, the entire computer network for Southwest, across the entire country, was down. Including the boards in airports (they all read 'on time') and the website, and the boarding pass printing machines, and the bag checking computers....everything. No flights were going ANYWHERE.

The local news channel came to film me waiting in line to hear that I wasn't flying anywhere
When the ticketing agent came out and told us that there was no way of knowing when, if ever, the flights from Manchester would leave, and that if you were connecting through anywhere, especially Chicago (which I was), it was extremely unlikely you would make your connection, I gave up. I got out of line, sat on a bench and started laughing. I was not meant to leave Vermont. My car breaks down. My phone crashes. My bus never comes. All planes are grounded. What on earth was going on!?!

So I got the hotel to come back and pick me up, I got back in my car, and I drove two hours back to Paul and Sarah's house, to stay for an indefinite amount of time.

July 21, 2016

I had breakfast with Paul and Sarah, and then they left for work. I called Greyhound and started the extremely ridiculous process of getting my bus ticket refunded. I called Southwest and was told they would call me back within two hours.

The tower in Hubbards Parks
Since I had my own car, I decided to go hang out with Paul at the Teen Center. His job is literally hanging out. I wouldn't be a bother.  I went to a nearby pizza place and picked up lunch for him and me and Kayla.  After lunch I decided to explore Hubbards park, a city park in Montpelier that is forest and trails and hills. It was great, and lovely. Muggy though. I climbed the tower that's in the park. Since it had been about 5 hours, I decided to call Southwest again, and finally got through. The earliest flight they could get me on would be Saturday at noon! I was supposed to fly out Wednesday, it was already Thursday afternoon, and I couldn't leave til Saturday. It was crazy. I was fine, Paul and Sarah would have no problem with me staying with them, but wow!

Looking out at Montpelier from the park
After work, Paul and Sarah and I made tacos for dinner, and their doula came for dinner, along with Sarah's parents, Topher and Marie.  Dinner was lovely, we ate outside. After dinner, Paul made a fire outside, and we hung out there and looked for fireflies.

Lovely dinner!
July 22, 2016

Since I knew I wouldn't be leaving yet, I spent the morning relaxing. I watched a movie, read, etc.

Paul, mentoring
After lunch I went to the Teen Center and played Settlers with Paul and his teens. Yes, his job includes playing board games with teenagers. I won one, and Paul won one! Sorry, teens.

Paul at 'work'
Paul and I then went over to a local vineyard, Fresh Tracks Farm, where Kayla also works, and visited with her for a while and had a glass of wine on their back patio. Then we met Sarah downtown for a fancy dinner.

July 23, 2016

There was no bus that could take me to Manchester this time, so Paul and I drove down together in my car, and he drove back after dropping me off. This time I got on the plane, and even got seating position A1, so I could choose any seat! I chose the second row, right side, window seat. I recommend it.

Got to Denver in the late afternoon, my folks picked me up at the airport, and we went to a band concert at our local park and had a picnic.

The extra time in Vermont was lovely, and relaxing, and wonderful. It all turned out for the best. And as an apology, Southwest sent me four free drink coupons. I am never going to use them. If you want them, let me know, I'll send them your way. Pretty sweet apology gift though, right? Four free drinks pretty much makes up for everything.











No comments:

Post a Comment