September 18, 2016

Epic Road Trip Part 2: Seneca Falls, NY

August 22

Time for some Women's Rights history! I never knew much about Seneca Falls, New York, until I started reading this series of historical mysteries that take place there. I highly recommend them if you can find them, they are the Glynis Tryon mysteries by Miriam Grace Monfredo. I'm a big fan. I also got into the suffrage movement history when teaching a girls' camp a few summers in a row. So, since we were going to be driving right past Seneca Falls, I decided we must stop.


We started out at the Women's Rights National Park. It was nicely done, we watched video, checked out the exhibits, and took a guided tour.

Me with the suffragettes!


This is the 19th amendment ratification victory flag, and an example of great flag design!

Then we checked out the Seneca Museum of Waterways and Industry, which had a lot of the history of the canal being built. We ate lunch on main street, then dad and I took a walk along the canal.

Lovely walk
The city has turned a long stretch of old canal towpath into an art walk along the canal, with sculptures along the path. It was very lovely, and a great day to be out walking. Our one complaint was that most of the sculptures had no descriptive plaques with them like who the artist was, when it was made, or any other information. We like to know those things.

After our walk we found mom relaxing in the sunshine by the canal, and we said goodbye to Seneca Falls and drove to Ohio, where we stayed the night in a hotel in Ashtabula.

No comments:

Post a Comment