We had a couple more days to spend in NYC, and my aunt Phoebe came out to join us. We stayed in an old hotel in the theater district, right in the heart of everything.
On the morning of the 26th, Phoebe, dad, and I went out to find bagels and coffee, and brought breakfast back to the hotel. After we had all eaten, we went and got tickets for the hop-on, hop-off tour bus of New York. We took it up Central Park, and through Harlem, then down the East side. We got off to visit the Museum of the City of New York, which we had never heard of, but was really excellent. I liked it a lot. There was photography exhibit, an interactive exhibit about the future of housing, transportation, etc. in the city, and other exhibits about the history of the city.
That evening, Phoebe and I went to a taping of the Late show with Stephen Colbert. I will tell you what it was like.
We arrived at 3 outside the studio. They scanned our tickets and had us wait in line on the sidewalk. Around 3:30, they had us go in the lobby. We stood in a line in the lobby for an hour. AN HOUR. Just standing there. There was a TV running clips of Stephen Colbert, but we just had to stand there. At 4:30, they let us into the studio and told us where to sit. There was music blasting over the speakers, extremely loudly. We waited there until about 5. Then a warm-up comedian came out. He was pretty funny, he picked people from the audience and asked them questions and had fun with them. He also told us we had to cheer and scream and clap as loudly as we can, as loudly as we ever have before, when Colbert comes out, and don't stop, even when he says for you to stop.
So the first 2 hours of waiting were very uncomfortable. The comedian was fine. But finally, around 5:45, Colbert came out! He did a little Q & A with the audience, then we started the taping. It's called live-to-tape, which means he just runs straight through, no cuts, no edits. I loved the house band, they were my favorite part. They were really good, and fun, and we got to hear whole songs while on 'commercial' breaks, whereas on TV, you only get to hear the very end as the show comes back from commercial.
The monologue was great, very hilarious and on point. Then Colbert interviewed Michael Moore who was a very polished guest, and another actress who I quite liked but have never heard of or seen her show. Then the musical guest, Black, came out, who again, I had never heard of, and we clapped and cheered and screamed like he was our favorite artist ever. He did a song that was good. Then the producer said there had been a problem, so he did the song again. Then Colbert signed off, and the ushered us out of the theater, and we were done!
![]() |
| On top of the world! Or at least the tour bus! |
![]() |
| The ladies liberty! |
The next morning, we took the hop-on, hop-off down to Battery Park and took the ferry to Ellis Island. I loved Ellis Island. I could have spent another 2 hours there, at least, but we had lots to see and do. But it was great, I highly recommend it.
![]() |
| Approaching Ellis island, there are portraits of immigrants painted on the outside walls |
![]() |
| The registry room, where every person had to register |
![]() |
| There is a group that comes and puts paper flowers in each person's name on their birthday |
![]() |
| Back: Jared, Amy, Matt, Cliff, Craig; Front: Cindy, Harper, Phoebe, Laura |









No comments:
Post a Comment