| Snowy Egret getting his plumage up.... |
This morning I went for a birdwalk alond Cherry Creek, near where I live, by the Cherry Creek Country Club. It was a pretty good morning for birding! To start you off, here's a video (embedded below) of two Snowy Egrets. I think it's worth watching the whole way through- first the Egret nabs some breakfast out of the creek, then gets fiesty with the other Egret.
Besides the Egrets, there were plenty of little birds - doves, finches, a downy woodpecker, some hummingbirds, sparrows, flickers, and swallows, and plenty of mallards.
One cool bird to spot was the Spotted Sandpiper. These birds are so little! Much smaller than I expected from the pictures in field guides. This guy was bopping along the sandy bank of the creek. The butt bobbles up and down as it walks. Adorable.
I kept on farther down the creek than I usually do, and I discovered a secret, yet somehow well maintained and accessible, forest glen. Okay, it's probably not secret since the city built a bridge to get to it, but there were definitely no people there and it was kind of magical.
In the secret glen I saw a giant catfish in the water! Like, 2-foot! I was looking out for the Great Blue Heron that haunts the Creek, but I did not see it today. However, I did see a hawk cooling its butt in the creek! Yup, just sitting there in the water!
I feel sure this is a Cooper's Hawk, but the eye color is throwing me off, because the pics in my app of a Cooper's have red eyes. But I think that might be an indication of the bird's age rather than species, so let's assume it's a younger Cooper's Hawk and not a Sharp-Shined, which looks almost the same but isn't expected to be seen around here right now.
| Just before this pic, the hawk was actually sitting in the water. |
Let me know when you want to come birding with me!
I want to go birding with you!
ReplyDeleteGreat! You can bring your camera!
ReplyDelete